The Music Teacher positions include both part- and full-time opportunities during the regular school year.
Job responsibilities include:
- Acting as in-school music faculty.
- Providing standards-based, comprehensive/sequential music instruction to the students.
- Collaborating with academic teachers to integrate arts with the Common Core State Standards and throughout the school’s curriculum and culture.
- Facilitate after-school music programs (where applicable).
- Successful candidates will receive paid training in pedagogy, lesson planning and classroom management.
- Music teachers will also work with ETM-LA’s administrative staff to assess the program and are required to attend mandatory paid training sessions in mid-August and throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree (for internship, rising seniors at the undergraduate level acceptable).
- Prior music classroom teaching in general music and/or choir with evidence of success.
- Experience teaching groups of 15 or more elementary- and middle-school aged students.
- Musical skill/ability in voice, musical theater, and/or instrumental (Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, Orchestral Strings).
- Excellent music reading skills.
- Excellent stage presence, oral and written communication skills.
- Enjoys working with children and being part of a collaborative team with other music teachers and school faculty.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Must have a car.
- Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish and Chinese)
- Experience and/or training in Orff, Kodaly and/or Dalcroze strongly encouraged.
- CA single subject teaching credential in music or out of state equivalent preferred (but not required).
- Masters Degree in music education a plus.
Interested candidates should submit a one-page cover letter (400 words maximum) and a one-page current resume, along with the following:
1. 2 sample lessons plans (one elementary beginning instrument group class lesson focusing on one instrument of choice, one elementary beginning string orchestra rehearsal plan)
2. Philosophy of Music Education statement.
3. Names and Contact Info of three professional references
4. Employment Application Form
Submit Application to Director of Programs Deidre Racoma: applymusic[at]etmla.org
Fax: 818-433-7601 Please include in the Subject Line: ETM-LA Music Teacher Position