Gala Star: Meet 5th Grader Gio
“Music has changed so much of my life, it’s made me build confidence.”
Thank you for your passionate commitment to furthering equity and access to quality music education in under-resourced schools across LA County.
Today, only one in five California schools have the equivalent of a full-time music teacher. Schools without music education are often located in marginalized communities due to systemic inequities (Creativity challenge: The state of arts education in California, SRI Education, 2022).
José, Gio’s dad shares, “If it wasn’t for the [music] program, actually I wouldn’t be able to put him in a situation where he’s singing, dancing, choreographing, something that he loves. He wouldn’t have that if it wasn’t for the program in school.”
Gio shared, at the ETM-LA 17th Year Benefit Gala, “Music has changed my life in so many different ways. Two of the reasons are: my work has improved so much, and I now know how to sing alto and soprano!” as the crowd cheered in response.
José recognizes the impact of music education. “When [Gio] comes to choir and music his effort shines. He is more passionate about it. That’s what I have seen change.” José continues, “Choir is an outlet, it’s where he can express himself musically and artistically.”
Regardless of their age, ability, talent, or zip code, every child has a right to music in school as part of a well-rounded education. Because of your unwavering support, students like Gio are provided with a way to access life-changing music instruction, in school.
Watch Gio’s Spotlight Video below:
Your support has helped ETM-LA achieve milestones this school year, including:
- Nuturing future teachers and leaders by doubling the capacity of our Music Teacher Internship Program, increasing the number of schools we reach.
- 1st place in the 2022 LA2050 Grants Challenge in K-12 STEAM education, out of 480 applicants.
- ETM-LA and Francis Lansang, Volunteer Coordinator, receiving the 2022 Halo Award.
- Compton Unified spotlighting ETM-LA’s Music & Technology programs at the Fall 2022 League of Innovative Schools Conference.
Your annual gift will help us expand our reach to provide long-term, sustainable music education programs and provide equal opportunities for children to reach their fullest potential. For $14 a month, or $160 a year, you can sponsor a child to have music class all year long. Give the gift that lasts a lifetime, one month at time.
Your 100% tax-deductible donation will help us increase our impact by:
- Expanding high-quality, sequential music education to 45 schools and 19,000 children across LA.
- Suppling new instruments to support a growth of 150% of students across our ensembles.
- Offering over 100 hours of top-notch, comprehensive training for music educators.
THANK YOU for your support of our mission to ensure that children like Gio have hope for a brighter future through music. We could not do this vital work without you!
ETM-LA is partnered with Double the Donation, see if your company is eligible below: