Music Teacher Intern
ETM-LA’s internship program gives new teachers an opportunity to gain classroom teaching experience in Elementary General Music, Middle School General Music, and Elementary Instrumental Instruction. This is a paid semester internship, where Music Teacher Interns are paired with an ETM-LA Music Teacher to shadow partial or full days of teaching (about 7:40 AM- 2:30 PM), twice a week. Music Teacher Interns will be hired on a Level 1 or Level 2 basis; dependent upon education and experience. Additionally, ETM-LA Interns work closely with an Instructional Supervisor and Music Teacher – Mentor. Interns who successfully complete the semester-long internship program have been offered a role as regular substitute teachers with ETM-LA and also Music Teacher positions, as availability opens up at our new and existing partner schools.
The Music Teacher Intern will observe and assist the Music Teacher with a comprehensive, sequential, and standards-based music curriculum according to the Education Through Music (ETM) model that serves all students and teaches musical literacy, practical musical skills, content knowledge, transferable skills, and higher order thinking. Lead meaningful performances in which students can apply learned skills and knowledge as assigned by the Music Teacher – Mentor. Build a music program that becomes an indispensable part of school culture and identity which connects to the broader school community.
Job Responsibilities for Level 1:
- Assist with school-wide concerts (Winter & Spring) in which all students perform two to three pieces of music, respectively. This includes leading rehearsal for and conducting one song. Other tasks include assisting with all logistics – sound, lighting, staging, etc.
- Assist with managing student behavior to maintain an optimal learning environment that is orderly, productive, free of unnecessary distractions, respectful and safe.
- Assist with recording student progress toward learning goals based on the ETM benchmarks. This includes the use of formal rubrics customized to measure comprehension/learning for various specific lesson plans provided by the music teacher.
- Assist the music teacher with the creation of the classroom’s visually-engaging bulletin board and maintain keeping the music classroom print-rich, visually engaging, neat, organized and welcoming.
- Provide support and reinforce the classroom procedures and routines by which students know exactly what is expected of them and how they may interact with others to participate successfully that have been provided by the music teacher. This includes the consistent use of seating charts, posters and rules and consequences.
- Participate in ETM-LA Institute training sessions and proactively pursue professional development by utilizing and applying ETM-LA Institute content, concepts, and resources. These trainings occur throughout the year in the summer, fall, winter, and spring. It is your responsibility to plan accordingly to be in attendance.
- Commit to growing as a music teacher in order to be culturally responsive to our students and communities.
- Timely, responsive, and constructive communication in person and through phone/email with ETM-LA and school staff.
- Complete weekly assigned readings
- Create and maintain a portfolio that includes a weekly observation journal and unit plan.
- Ensembles Only: Assist Music Mentor – Teacher to keep accurate records and maintenance of materials and instrument inventory.
- Complete timecard daily through ADP.
Job Responsibilities for Level 2 (with the understanding and expectation that the essential functions of Level 1 have been mastered):
- Responsible for leading and teaching a class assigned by the Music Teacher-Mentor. This includes leading rehearsal for and conducting two (2) songs for the assigned class for the school-wide concerts (Winter & Spring).
- Other tasks include assisting withall logistics – sound, lighting, staging, etc.
- Create a visually-engaging bulletin board for your assigned class. Assist the music teacher with the maintenance of keeping the music classroom print-rich, visually engaging, neat, organized and welcoming.
- Create lesson plans and teach assigned class weekly.
- Ensembles Only: Keep accurate records and maintain all materials and instrument inventory with the oversight of the Music Teacher – Mentor.
- Lifting and moving musical equipment, materials and supplies.
- Cleaning the music room.
- Using Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Calendar, MS Word, Excel and other software to create items needed for the music classroom
- Regular use of work email to communicate with ETM-LA staff.
- Assist with inventory and secure classroom instruments, including tuning ukuleles, guitars, replacing drum heads, proper storage, etc.
- General assistance at organizational events, including administrative tasks and managing students.
- Assisting with other school-based musical events.
- Bachelor’s Degree (or in progress) in Music or related field. Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in music or related field preferred.
- Some classroom experience, working with children or student teaching.
- Vocal or instrumental performance capabilities. Advanced vocal or instrumental performance capabilities, particularly guitar, piano, or voice desired.
- Certification in Orff, Kodaly, Dalcroze, and/or other music teaching pedagogies
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of musical theory and notation literacy. Advanced knowledge of musical notation and theory literacy preferred.
- Knowledge of specific musical repertoire and genres. Specialized knowledge of specific musical repertoire and genres, particularly choral. State teacher certification. Practical understanding of music pedagogy, educational theory, and child development preferred.
- Proficient in Google Suite including but not limited to: Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Calendar; Microsoft (MS) Office including MS Word and MS Excel; and other software to create items needed for the music classroom
- Proficient in online learning platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, RingCentral, etc.)
- Possess strong interpersonal and collaborative skills
- Ability to follow instructions
Pay & Work Schedule:
- Semester-long internship
- $16.90 per hour for Level 1; $18.00 per hour for Level 2
- Hours: Part-Time; Seasonal & Temporary; ~5-14 hours per week
School environment located throughout Los Angeles County. Must use your own vehicle, or have reliable transportation, for work purposes other than driving to and from work (such as running errands for work).
- In order to apply, interested candidates must complete the Employment Application and attach the following:
- One-page cover letter (between 150-300 words)
- One-page resume
- Names and contact information of three (3) professional references
- Copy of Transcript (Official Transcripts may be required upon hire) and Credential Copy (if applicable)
- A live scan must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the live scan may affect the application status of applicants
- TB Test mandate. Failure to satisfactorily complete the TB Test with certificate of tuberculosis clearance may affect the application status of applicants
- COVID-19 vaccine mandate (dependent upon school district)
- The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements as a condition of employment
- For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity:
ETM-LA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.