The Instructional Supervisor will be a full-time, exempt position and will directly report to and will work closely with the Director of Programs as part of the Programs team at Education Through Music-Los Angeles. The Instructional Supervisor will provide effective instructional supervision to nurture student achievement, well-being, and overall development, and create deep, invaluable musical and educational opportunities. Provide guidance, support, and continuous assessment to teachers for their professional development and improvement in the teaching-learning process. The Instructional Supervisor will assist with the cultivation of school partnerships, including maintaining strong relationships and communications with school leadership and community members. Contribute to ETM-LA’s professional development knowledge base, resources, and overall teacher training capabilities.
On-Site or Virtual School Visits (25%)
- On-site visits to mentor music teachers as needed or directed.
- Develop, maintain, and document relationships with school principals via check-in visits.
- Track what equipment and resources are at the school, determine what is needed based on existing resources, the music teachers’ skills and teaching arrangement, and procure needed materials.
- Guide music teachers on being culturally responsive to school environments.
- Document details of school visits and what was accomplished at such visits.
- Document music teacher activities formally and informally through on-site/virtual observations focused on lesson planning, pedagogy, classroom management, classroom environment, age-appropriate content, integration, and assessment.
- Informally and formally observe music teachers’ instruction and provide written and verbal feedback.
- Conduct model teaching and team teaching, as necessary.
- Provide music teacher class coverage as needed.
Instructional Support (25%)
- Provide support to music teachers in classroom management, music pedagogy, principal, and parent/stakeholder communication.
- Guide and train music teachers in developing musical activities, lesson plans, curriculum, assessments strategies and producing performances based on ETM-LA benchmarks and ETM-LA training materials.
- Review music teachers’ lesson plans weekly before lessons are taught and provide feedback.
- Recommend resources for music teachers to use in the classroom from the ETM-LA music library and elsewhere.
- Support development and administration of skills assessment tests for students
- Train music teachers on recruiting & reconciling inventory sheets,
- Facilitate and attend performances and events including Bagels With The Band/Sweets With Strings, Music Unites the World Festival, and community performances.
- Provide professional development workshops and related support to academic teachers.
- Work with partner schools to develop appropriate parent engagement workshops.
Operational Support (15%)
- Collect class rosters, image releases, student grades and evaluation data for the Director of Programs to provide to the Evaluation Department.
- Track inventory and maintain resources in the ETM-LA Library & Office
- Oversee and approve any reimbursements submitted by your teachers.
- Train teachers to manage instrument inventories and instrument return process and communications.
- Facilitate instrument days or nights by coordinating logistics, scheduling and follow-up.
- Handle instrument repairs, returns and inventory.
- Collect student work/quotes/stories for the Director of Programs as needed in conjunction with communications/development projects to promote ETM-LA’s mission.- to provide to the Development Department.
- Provide support for ETM-LA’s Annual Music Unites the World Festival bringing together students from across LA County for two days of musical learning and culminating performances.
Supervisory Support (25%)
- Ensure proper supervision, mentoring and Performance evaluation of all ETM-LA music teachers.
- Review weekly time sheets for accuracy and follow up on any discrepancies.
- Manage/Approve time off requests and arrange for substitute coverage when necessary.
- Conduct regular performance check-ins to ensure Teacher is on track and to discuss any concerns.
- Compile and administer (in conjunction with Human Resources and Director or Programs) Performance Improvement Plans & Performance Action Plans as needed.
- Track ETM-LA attendance and ensure all music teachers receive required training.
- Attend Professional Development to engage and learn new strategies for growth and development.
- Continued growth in the latest technical/digital platforms.
Teacher Recruitment (10%)
- Participate in Group Demo Sessions to identify potential Teacher candidates.
- Attend career/recruiting events to promote/recruit Teachers for ETM-LA.
- Championing our mission as a representative in your communities.
- Conduct face to face interviews and recommend applicants for hire as assigned.
- Instructional document creation and management
- Design and implementation of new projects and materials as necessary
- General assistance at organizational events, including administrative tasks and managing students.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Programs.
Other Preferred Skills/Experience:
- Teaching or Administrative Experience in the Public School system.
- Facilitation of Professional Development for Teachers (5-10 yrs. of experience)
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and management about school-wide music programs and professional development; make strategic recommendations.
- Exceptional mentorship skills.
- Commitment to the mission of ETM-LA furthering equitable music education in LA County schools.
- Strong background and work experience in Education.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of music program management; experience in teacher effectiveness and implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and excellence in music education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of school-affiliated requirements and documentation.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and a collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
- Ability to articulate issues of importance to the organization.
Salary Range: $55,000-$75,000, commensurate with experience.
Location of Office: Burbank, CA
To apply, submit a full application to: Deidre Racoma: email@example.com **Please include in the Subject Line: ETM-LA Instructional Supervisor
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls, please.
- One page cover letter
- One page resume
- Names and Contact Info of three (3) professional references
- Employment Application
Other Information: This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. Benefits include health, dental, vision, 14 paid holidays, vacation days, and 403(b) retirement opportunities.
ETM-LA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.