Music Unites the World Songwriting Contest
ETM-LA students perform previous winning song “Music Unites the World” at the LA Sparks Halftime
Show at Staples Center on June 18, 2019 with musical guest, Ricardo Hurtado (School of Rock, Nickelodeon).
Education Through Music-LA (ETM-LA) is excited to announce the 2023 Music Unites the World Songwriting Contest! The purpose of this contest is to produce an inspiring, high-quality, original song that speaks to the theme of music’s ability to unite the world. The winning piece will be premiered by students at the annual Music Unites the World Festival, a two-day event bringing together student performers from our partner schools across Los Angeles County.
For more info on ETM-LA’s mission, visit our about page.
The winning piece will be premiered at the Music Unites the World Festival on March 30, 2023 (location TBD) in Los Angeles, CA. The piece will be sung by approximately 40-50 treble & alto singers (grades 4-6), accompanied on piano.
The winner will be invited to attend the premiere where they will receive a $1,000 cash prize. In addition, the composer will meet and work with the choir and director. Music industry professionals, educators, celebrity film composers, and other leaders will be in attendance. Past festival celebrity coaches include Academy Award and GRAMMY Award-Winning Producer Randy Spendlove, Emmy-Award Winning Producer Rickey Minor, Composers Blake Neely (Flash, Arrow), Christophe Beck (Frozen), Joseph Trapanese (Straight Outta Compton), Joseph Kraemer (Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation), and Harry Gregson-Williams (The Meg, Shrek), Producer Sebastian Krys (Shakira, Luis Fonsi, Juanes), Singer-Songwriter Judith Hill (The Voice, Prince), NOMAD (Babyface), Consultant CeCe Sammy (American Idol), and Solo Vocalist Lisbeth Scott (Shrek, Chronicles of Narnia).
● Application materials are accepted via the online application. Entry Deadline: 10/15/2022 11:59 PM PT
● Songwriters/composers are asked to submit two scores (full score and vocal-only score) and a recording of an unpublished work for young treble voices (SA) on the theme of “Music Uniting the World”.
● FEE: $5 (USD) submission fee. All fees are payable online and are non-refundable.
● October 15th, 2022: Applications due. Pre-screening beings.
● December 1st, 2022 : Finalists reviewed by judges who will select the winner.
● January 10th, 2023: Winner announced.
● January 2023: Winner consults with ETM-LA on song and delivers final manuscript to ETM-LA.
● March 30th, 2023: Winning song will be premiered by ETM-LA Choir at the 2023 Music Unites
the World Festival (location TBD) in Los Angeles, CA.
ELIGIBILITY AND TERMS:
ETM-LA reserves the right to not select a winner.
ENTRY DEADLINE: 10/15/2022 11:59 PM PT