The Financial Controller will be a full-time, exempt position and will directly report to and will work closely with the Executive Director as a leader of the Finance team at Education Through Music-Los Angeles. The Financial Controller will help further the mission by serving as a member of the management team to grow ETM-LA’s financial, business, and day-to-day finance operations while stewarding ETM-LA’s resources, cash flow, and assets. The Financial Controller will be part of the culture to ensure that every child, regardless of socio-economic status, receives quality music education in order to reach their fullest potential.
- Develop, document, and implement financial accounting, control and reporting systems, including restricted grant accounting, reports required by the government, and forecasting.
- Support Executive Director and managers with the creation of organizational budgets and projections; support ED with management of financial accounts and systems and make recommendations for short- and long-term financial goals.
- Act as the regular point of contact on the annual audit.
- Act as the regular point of contact (with HR) for payroll company with respect to financial areas.
- Oversee billing, invoicing, financial processes with school partners, and liaise weekly with external bookkeeper; assist with reconciliations & other support as needed.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of financial policies and key document retention.
- Recommend and execute cash re-allocations among ETM-LA’s financial accounts.
- Coordinate with monthly external bookkeeper responsible for reconciliations & other support as needed.
- Manage accounts payable, resolving any questions with regard to expense authorization or classification policies directly with relevant employees or in coordination with Executive Director and Admin/Operations Staff.
- Manage accounts receivable, including invoicing and follow-up with ETM-LA partner schools and other clients.
- Create monthly and quarterly financial reports to share with ETM-LA management and Board of Directors.
- Monitor company’s financial reports and determine ways to reduce costs.
- Supervise employees who work under the controller in preparing financial reports and budgets.
- Coordinate restricted grant accounting along with Development department.
- Understand the financials of a company in order to meet legal requirements and keep the financial state in good standing
Human Resources (10%)
- Help to implement and improve policies and procedures, along with documentation as they relate to payroll and finance.
- Provide payroll information related to changes in employment status, benefits, or other matters for inclusion in semi-monthly payroll submission. Review payroll journals before they are finalized to confirm accuracy.
- Work closely with ETM-LA administration to ensure personnel files and financial books / journal entries are up to date.
- Work with Executive Director to provide support to other departments as needed.
- Assist with maintaining compliance with internal document retention policies related to payroll/HR documentation.
Strategic Planning (10%)
- Work with Executive Director and board’s strategic planning group in developing, documenting, and implementing strategies for operational and program expansion.
- Draft reports and supporting materials to support strategic planning activities.
- Develop, document and implement disaster recovery preparations and plans.
- Financial/Operations Management in philanthropy, government or the non-profit sector.
- Budget development, data analysis, and management (5-10 yrs. of experience)
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and management about the finances of the business and justify certain financial recommendations.
- Excel, Quickbooks, and Financial multi-platform management; exceptional computer skills.
- Commitment to the mission of ETM-LA furthering equitable music education in LA County schools.
- Proven successful background and work experience in Finance and Management.
- Exceptional communication skills both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of contract management; experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace.
- Attention to detail.
- Knowledge of non-profit filing requirements and documentation.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and a collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
- Ability to articulate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to problem solve strategically and consider several points of view.
Salary Range: $65,000-$100,000, commensurate with experience.
Location of Office: Burbank, CA
To apply, submit a full application to: Human Resources: email@example.com **Please include in the Subject Line: ETM-LA Financial Controller Position
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No calls, please.
1. One page cover letter
2. One page resume
3. Names and Contact Info of three (3) professional references
Other Information: This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. Benefits include health, dental, vision, 14 paid holidays, vacation days, 1-week winter break, 1-week summer break, and 403(b) retirement opportunities.
ETM-LA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.