Director of Finance & Administration Position
Education Through Music-Los Angeles (ETM-LA)
Currently Hiring – Director of Finance & Administration
(Full-Time, Exempt Position)
Education Through Music-Los Angeles restores comprehensive, in-school music education for thousands of Los Angeles County children who would otherwise have limited or no exposure to music and the arts. Founded in 2006, Education Through Music-Los Angeles forms long-term partnerships with school districts to sustain school-wide music education programs in elementary and middle schools. Education Through Music-Los Angeles ETM-LA is based on the ETM model which has successfully served New York City schools since 1991. Typically, over 90% of the students are minorities, over 80% qualify for the Federal Free/Reduced Price Lunch Program, and approximately 10% have special needs. In just 13 years, ETM-LA has expanded from serving two schools and 800 children its first year to over 35 schools and approximately 15,000 schoolchildren. We believe that every child, regardless of socio-economic status, should receive quality music education as part of a well-rounded education in order to reach their fullest potential.
The Director of Finance & Administration will actively participate as a member of Leadership Team and be a strategic thought-partner at Education Through Music-Los Angeles. He/She reports to the Executive Director. The Director will hold direct responsibility for managing the financial, accounting, reporting, and administrative operations. In addition to leading, developing, and supervising an internal team of three staff members (Administrative Assistant, Bookkeeper, and Volunteer Coordinator), the Director will work closely with other directors and staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The Director of Finance and Administration will be expected to:
- Know Education Through Music-Los Angeles – our team, our mission, our vision, our values, partners, programs, operational activities, revenues/financial base and their potential – and work collaboratively with staff to integrate best practices in finance and administrative throughout the organization.
- Establish strong working relationships with the Executive Director and peer members of Leadership Team in order to ensure that, collaboratively, sound budgets, proposals, program activities, and strategies are effectively developed and implemented.
- Provide strategic financial leadership, in partnership with the Board of Directors and Leadership Team, to support and improve ETM-LA’s long-term financial health and sustainability.
Fiscal Management (50%)
- Develop, document, evaluate, and implement financial accounting, control and reporting systems, (including restricted grant accounting) in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ensure that ETM-LA has policies and procedures that adhere to best practices and ensure proper checks and balances to prevent and/or detect fraud.
- Provide staff support for two committees on the Board of Directors including the Finance Committee and Audit Committee.
- Work closely with the Executive Director on the annual budgeting and planning process; create budget vs. actual variance reports.
- Monitor cash balances and cash forecasts. Prepare monthly agency cash flow projections.
- Oversee all financial, program, and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants, working in concert with the Development Team.
- Recommend and execute cash re-allocations among ETM-LA’s financial accounts.
- Manage accounts payable, resolving any questions with regard to expense authorization or classification policies directly with relevant employees or in coordination with Executive Director and Admin Staff; manage accounts receivable.
- Ensure audits and tax returns, filings, and forms are completed in accordance with deadlines; serve as the main point of contact with our CPA firm for annual audits.
- Create monthly and quarterly financial reports to share with ETM-LA management and Board of Directors; oversee monthly bank reconciliation.
- Coordinate restricted grant accounting along with the Development team.
Administrative Management (30%)
- Help implement and improve policies, procedures, and documentation practices to support administrative operations (contract negotiations, vendor relations).
- Support HR projects as needed (recruitment, screening, hires/terminations, professional development, performance management, disciplinary action, scheduling, time-worked/time-off tracking, benefit administration, and employee status changes.)
- Provide payroll information related to changes in employment status, benefits, or other matters for inclusion in semi-monthly payroll submission. Review payroll journals before they are finalized to confirm accuracy.
- Support payroll, the management of timesheets, and submission of reports.
- Work with Executive Director to provide support to other departments on financial and resource management responsibilities.
- Draft, edit, and review revisions to ETM-LA’s Finance/Administrative manual and other related guides.
- Maintain compliance with internal document retention policies related to Financial and Contract Documentation.
- Assess, plan, document, and budget short- and long-term for information technology needs, including office networking, office servers, employee workstations, organization website, and other web-based software applications.
- Work with ED and Operations to coordinate and direct ETM-LA’s managed technology support provider and telecommunications.
- Provide or coordinate technical support and training to staff; oversee maintenance of data backup and recovery systems.
Strategic Planning (20%)
- Assist Executive Director and board’s strategic planning group in developing, documenting, and implementing strategies for program expansion.
- Draft reports and supporting materials to support strategic planning activities.
- Develop, document and implement disaster recovery preparations and plans.
- Assess, plan, document, and budget long-term for information technology needs, including office networking, office servers, employee workstations, organization website, and other web-based software applications.
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Financial/Operations Management in philanthropy, education, government, arts, or the non-profit sector; 7 years+ preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of ETM-LA and furthering equitable music education in Los Angeles schools.
- Knowledge and understanding of non-profit finance and accounting.
- Excellent experience with budget planning and development.
- Knowledge of contract management; experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Ability to present information effectively and respond to questions from various internal and external audiences; excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to work effectively with the entire leadership team and to ensure that directors understand their financial and budgetary responsibilities/oversight.
- Excellent computer skills; proficient in excel, word, google platforms, and quickbooks.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives; able to balance multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- A demonstrated commitment to the high professional ethical standards and integrity.
- Knowledge of non-profit filing requirements and documentation.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and a collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
- Ability to articulate issues of importance to the organization.
- Ability to problem-solve strategically and consider several points of view.
- Ability to lead persuasively with details and facts.
- Must have a car.
How to Apply: If you are interested in applying, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a one-page resume,
- application form,
- 3 references, and
- cover letter (between 1,000-2,000 characters, including spaces) with the Subject Header: “ETM-LA Director of Finance & Administration”
Please address the letter to Victoria Lanier, Executive Director. No calls, please.