Further Details For This Position
*County in which job is located: Los Angeles County
*Job Title: Music Teacher – General Music/Choral
*Job Type: Certificated/Non-Certificated
*Number of Vacancies (can only be digits): 5
*Salary Info: Commensurate with Experience
*Work Year (e.g. 12 months, 10 months, 190 days): 10 months
*Full/Part Time: Full Time and Part Time available
Application Deadline (If less than the 60 days allowed): Until positions are filled
Most positions meet two to five days per week from August 15, 2016-June 9, 2017. Job responsibilities include:
- Acting as in-school music faculty
- Providing standards-based, comprehensive/sequential music instruction to the students
- Collaborating with academic teachers to integrate arts with the Common Core State Standards and throughout the school’s curriculum and culture.
- Facilitate after-school music programs (where applicable)
Successful candidates will receive paid training in pedagogy, lesson planning and classroom management. Music teachers will also work with ETM-LA’s administrative staff to assess the program and are required to attend mandatory paid training sessions in August (8/15 – 8/19) and throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree (for internship, rising seniors at the undergraduate level acceptable)
- Prior music classroom teaching in general music and/or strings/band ensembles and/or choir with evidence of success.
- Experience teaching groups of 10 or more elementary aged students.
- Prefer, but not required, to hold a CA single subject teaching credential in music or out of state equivalent (preferred)
- Master degree in music education a plus.
- Musical skill/ability in voice, musical theater, and/or instrumental (Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, Orchestral Strings). Excellent music reading skills.
- Excellent stage presence, oral and written communication skills.
- Enjoys working with children and being part of a collaborative team with other music teachers and school faculty.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- People person with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Must have a car.
- Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish and Chinese)
- Experience and/or training in Orff, Kodaly and/or Dalcroze strongly encouraged.
Interested individuals should submit a 1 page cover letter, a 1 page current resume, and names/titles/contact info of three professional references, 2 sample lesson plans (one elementary general music lower grades (K-2), one elementary general music upper grades (3-5)) and a philosophy of music education statement to Program Director-Ryan Rowles: firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Documents (resume, references (how many?), transcripts, etc): Cover Letter (1 page), Current Resume (1 page) and Names/Title/Contact info of three professional references, 2 sample lesson plans (one elementary general music lower grades (K-2), one elementary general music upper grades (3-5)), philosophy of music education statement.
Credential Requirements: CA Preliminary or Clear Teaching Credential preferred (not required). Out of state credential will be considered as well
Website Links: etmla.org
Posting Notes (e.g. how to apply): Email all documents to Program Director-Ryan Rowles: applymusic[at]etmla.org