Further Details Of This Position
*County in which job is located: Los Angeles County
*Job Title: Music Teacher-Strings (Elementary)
*Job Type: Certificated
*Number of Vacancies (can only be digits): 4
*Salary Info: Commensurate with Experience
*Work Year (e.g. 12 months, 10 months, 190 days): 10 months
*Full/Part Time: Open
Application Deadline (If less than the 60 days allowed): Until positions are filled
Most positions meet one to five days per week from August 15, 2016-June 09, 2017. Job responsibilities include:
- Acting as in-school music faculty
- Providing standards-based, comprehensive/sequential music instruction to the students
- Collaborating with academic teachers to integrate arts with the Common Core State Standards and throughout the school’s curriculum and culture.
- Facilitate after-school music programs (where applicable)
Successful candidates will receive paid training in pedagogy, lesson planning and classroom management. Music teachers will also work with ETM-LA’s administrative staff to assess the program and are required to attend mandatory paid training sessions in August and throughout the year.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or music education.
- Hold a CA single subject teaching credential in music or out of state equivalent(preferred not required)
- Prior music teaching with groups string pedagogy showing evidence of success.
- Experience teaching groups of 10 or more elementary aged students.
- Master degree in music education a plus.
- Musical skill/ability in orchestral strings able to sing, excellent sight-reading skills.
- Excellent stage presence, oral and written communication skills.
- Enjoys working with children and being part of a collaborative team with other music teachers and school faculty.
- Ability to think creatively and strategically.
- People person with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Commitment to the mission of Education Through Music-Los Angeles.
- Must have a car.
- Bi-lingual is a plus (especially Spanish and Chinese)
- Preferred experience and/or training in Suzuki, Kodaly, Orff, Dalcroze and/or specific string methodology (Mark O’Connor, other specific method books, etc.)
Interested individuals should submit a 1 page cover letter, a 1 page current resume, and names/titles/contact info of three professional references, 2 sample lesson plans (one elementary beginning instrument group class lesson focusing on one instrument of choice, one elementary beginning string orchestra rehearsal plan) and a philosophy of music education statement to Program Director-Ryan Rowles: firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Documents (resume, references (how many?), transcripts, etc): Cover Letter (1 page), Current Resume (1 page) and Names/Title/Contact info of three professional references, 2 sample lesson plans (one elementary beginning instrument group class lesson focusing on one instrument of choice, one elementary beginning string orchestra rehearsal plan), philosophy of music education statement.
Credential Requirements: CA Prelimiary or Clear Teaching Credential or out of state equivalent (preferred not required)
Website Links: etmla.org
Posting Notes (e.g. how to apply): Email all documents to Program Director-Ryan Rowles: applymusic[at]etmla.org